Wednesday, February 29, 2012

An Evergreen Heuchera




















I've been admiring this flat of Heuchera richardsonii all winter.  I had to check the conifers I've been grafting (more about that in a future post) before leaving work today and I managed to get a few snaps of it on my way out.  I first noticed the pronounced pink color last fall in plants tucked into the new part of the Prairie in the Fern Valley Native Plant Collection.  These have stayed, apparently quite happily, in the confines of 804 cell packs in the overwintering polyhouse.

Chrissy, Kevin, and I collected this plant in Custer State Park in South Dakota in 2010, and it has proven to be very adaptable.  It has looked great even though it's been confined to the restricted soil volume of the cell packs where it's had to endure last year's brutal summer.  I've seen it in a bit of wilt, and I've seen it waterlogged, and apparently it isn't too finicky.  We have it planted outside in the lath house where it has proven equally evergreen, and I'm wondering if it might have a future as a green roof plant.  With this lovely coral and green foliage, it might be an interesting ground cover for sunnier locations.

Compared to other Heuchera species, Heuchera richardsonii has not played a major role in the development of new cultivars.  Perhaps it should take its place along Heuchera villosa in the development of new cultivars that have better heat, humidity, and drought tolerance.

No comments:

Post a Comment