Thursday, March 22, 2012

Cherry Petal Blizzard

Spring seems to have passed by at warp speed this week.  Cherries that were just starting to open last weekend are now starting to lose petals.  Heavy rain is forecast this weekend, and many of the petals will be on the ground before Monday comes.  There was an accident on New York Avenue, so I was forced to detour back through the Arboretum and plan another route.  In our oasis of quiet and beauty in a traffic tied city, I had to stop and admire some cherries.



This is a pinker form of the Tidal Basin cherry, Prunus xyedoensis.  I looked at the label and unfortunately the cultivar name was lost from my brain on the grueling commute home.  I like it because it is more pink, and in the late day light it was spectacular.


I also shot this closeup of a redbud.  I've noticed that some are more coral pink than the common purple pink of most of them.  I think few people notice the markings on the petals.  Undoubtedly they are guides for pollinators.  The bees were indeed busy today, as they should be with the inclement weather on its way this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment