Thursday, May 3, 2012

Ylang Ylang in Bloom


I was wandering in the greenhouse after work, noting all the plants that have been moved out when I spied this surreal blossom.  I had not seen it before, though I've watered the nondescript plants many times.  I snapped a few pictures and began pondering what it might be.  Somehow my mind went to ylang ylang, Cananga odorata.  I didn't notice a strong fragrance, but this is indeed the ylang ylang that is so popular in aromatherapy and perfumery.  I've been pondering why there is such an investment in long, long petals.  Perhaps there are moths with poor eyesight that pollinate it or something.  It's a cool plant, and I'm sure GrayC will be carting it out to the Herb Garden for all to see in coming years as it gets a bit more size on it. 




No comments:

Post a Comment