Monday, July 16, 2012

It's Four O'Clock Somewhere




Actually, we arrived at West Palisades Cemetery just before noon. I finally got to see the final resting place of the Akers. It was a very pleasant cemetary in southwestern Minnesota, just a stone's throw from the South Dakota line, where my ancestors actually lived. 

The graves were simple. Not many plants, except for a couple of peonies. Few other ornamentals will persist in this harsh climate.  The quaint steeple of the church about a mile away was sharply juxtaposed against one of those giant wind turbines that are popping up like dandelions after a spring rain. One of the peonies had a wild four o'clock growing in with it.  OK, I know that this is a noxious weed in many places, but it is a plant that I admired as a child.  I like the green papery sepals that persist and the almost succelent, heart shaped leaves. The crepey pink flowers are long gone.



No comments:

Post a Comment