Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Do I Like Iris 'Katherine Hodgkin'?


I shot this Iris 'Katherine Hodgkin' in the Boxwood Collection last week.  I've always admired pictures of her, but I've never grown it myself.  The piece of mulch in the picture tells you something about how tiny they are.  When I first noticed this clump from afar, I'll have to say I was not impressed.  As I got closer, my interest piqued and I ended up admiring the bold lines and spots in the falls that contrast with the blotch of yellow.  The little clump was part of an effort to add a longer season of interest to a planting of tree peonies we have near the small parking area in the Boxwood Collection.  Like all dwarf iris, it gets lost if there aren't enough of them planted in a space.  I suppose they would work nicely in a small garden or rockery, or perhaps even in pots.  I tend to be very attracted to flowers with bold stripes, striking color combinations, and spots, but what looks cool close up somehow didn't look great from afar.  I still don't know if I will end up planting some at home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment