Saturday, March 10, 2012

Nun Orchid Weekend

  

I've had my successes and failures with orchids.  I remember a time about 20 years ago when I had a small bedroom with a south-facing window in which I grew Phalaenopsis, some Cymbidium and a couple of Paphiopedalum.  The Phalaenopsis bloomed reliably in response to the cooler temperatures of fall and the brighter light that they got when the large red oak outside lost its leaves.  When children came, this became the nursery, and the orchids made way for two cribs.  One Cymbidium went to work with me where it bloomed nearly continuously.

My favorite orchid is now Phaius tankervilleae, the nun orchid.  I got mine for a mere $25 at a local nursery as an impulse sale about four years ago.  A friend told me that the key to blooming this species is to treat them just like amaryllis; grow them out on the deck in sun over the growing season and fertilize them generously, allow them to dry a bit in autumn and allow them to experience a bit of autumn chill.  This plant goes out on the deck in May where it is kept constantly moist and gets liquid fertilizer three or four times until I bring it indoors in late October.  Because it's native to swamps, it can be planted in regular potting soil and relishes constantly wet conditions.

I've had to divide it twice already.  It's not a slow grower at all.  It blooms reliably in March every year, and is at times fragrant. If you are looking for an easy and very rewarding orchid, I'd highly recommend this species.


No comments:

Post a Comment